Saturday, June 23, 2007

I was here 2 years ago

Two years ago, perhaps even to the day: it was sometime in mid-June
that I was wandering around Vienna for the Go. The sun was golden, the
coffee strong and delicious, and I hopped on a train out of town, past
a Hundertwasser trash incinerator to Stift Klosterneuberg.

http://travel.nytimes.com/2007/06/17/travel/17cultured.html?ex=1339732800&en=3017cc0439e9c313&ei=5088&partner=rssnyt&emc=rss

My most vivid memory of the monastery, though, is not of all the art
and treasures or the winery, but of forgetting my notebook full of
*all* my Vienna research at the monastery, which is on top of a hill.
And I only discovered this when I was at the train station, at the
bottom of the hill and a bit further off. So it was a mad scramble up
and down the hill to get my notebook before the train comes in 20
minutes. It might have even been the last train back to Vienna -
whatever it was, I was panicking. But somewhat to my surprise, I did
finally make it in time though :)

No comments: